Friday, December 2, 2011

The Biopsy Results

I must say, I was nervous and scared about the biopsy. I didn't know what was going to happen before I arrived at the appointment. The whole process was a mystery to me, even though I had a basic idea of what was going to be done. It is kind of obvious by the description of the procedure after all. They were going to be sticking needles into my breast to cut out a sample of tissue to see if there was cancer. I don't like needles, so I was terrified. The good news is, I didn't need to be. I didn't feel any discomfort at all, not even a needle prick.

I attribute this to a couple of things. First, I used self-hypnosis to turn down the volume of any sensation in the breast area so that I would not feel any pain (and I should mention, I was watching the needle be inserted on the ultrasound screen). I felt absolutely nothing, no pressure, no sensation whatsoever. It was also helpful that the doctor let me talk and ask questions about the procedure as he was working so I felt at ease with what was going on and he explained each part of the procedure before doing anything. This was a completely different experience than the last time I had to have the ultrasound done, because I felt heard and supported through the whole process, which is a big improvement.

The doctor did a total of 3 biopsies on the 3 cysts on my left breast. It was kind of fascinating to watch the whole process on the ultrasound screen. Very much a surreal experience, like I was looking at somebody else's body being worked on instead of my own because I wasn't feeling anything due to the self-hypnosis and the local anesthetic the doctor had injected before using the biopsy needles. After the doctor was done with each biopsy he inserted a tiny metal marker by each spot so that each time I get a mammogram from now on they can keep an eye on any changes in that area.

Yesterday, Thusday, December 1, I got the best news in the world. The radiologist called and said there was no sign of cancer! I was relieved, to say the least. I will now have to get a mammogram every year for follow-up, however,  because of the cancer history in my family. I must say, I am impressed that Kaiser jumped on the ball in getting me evaluated for cancer so quickly after an abnormal mammogram. I am a definite proponent for early mammograms if there is a cancer history in a woman's family.

Now, I just have to wait until December 13 to find out what is going on with my stomach/abdomen. The one area where I really do not feel like I am being heard by the doctor. I will have to work on finding a way to get my voice heard with the GI doctor in the following 9 days. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment