Monday, December 26, 2011

The Upper & Lower GI-The Results

On December 17th I had to go in for my upper and lower GI. As I had previously posted, I am not a big fan of needles so I asked the nurse to give me a second to breathe, relax, and tell me before she poked me with the I.V. needle, which she did. Normally, my veins run at the sight of the I.V. cart, but the self-hypnosis worked great! The I.V, was successful on the first poke and I even smiled when the nursed poked me because although I knew the needle was going in I didn't feel any pain. That is an awesome experience. Of course, then I was wheeled into a small room filled with 2 wide screen high definition televisions that were attached to the cameras that were going to be going into my intestines. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint, I was not very coherent while the doctor was looking at my lower intestines which would have been a bit painful I guess since she found a polyp and diverticulosis in my colon. Not good things to find if you ask me. Needless to say the doctor burned off the polyp and sent it to be biopsied for cancer. I don't know the results of that biopsy yet but will hopefully find out something soon. I was more coherent, unfortunately, when the doctor went down my throat for the upper GI. In fact, I thought I was going to choke. But here again the self-hypnosis works wonders because as I relaxed the tube went down easier and came out easier so I didn't feel like I was going to choke to death in the process. Fortunately, my stomach was clear of any problems. Now I just need to find out what the doctor wants me to do about the diverticulosis and if the polyp was cancerous and go from there. I know something needs to be done about the diverticulosis, I am just not sure what can be done. I guess I just have to call the doctor and see.

1 comment:

  1. There is no cure for Diverticulosis, but the treatment is fiber... LOTS of fiber. I was diagnosed last year, and I am supposed to eat things that "scrub" out the colito (that is... well, you know... in Spanish). It does make things feel better and move along a bit more smoothly. As for the polyp, I will keep praying that everything comes back clear!!! Glad to know you are on your way to feeling better and getting everything taken care of!! YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete